Bad Night

6 February 2008, 9:01 am. 9 Comments. Filed under Weather.

Five killed, several injured after tornadoes hit West Tennessee

Tornadoes hit in Madison County and Hardin County Tuesday night, according to Emergency Management Agencies.

A tornado ripped through the campus of Union University, trapping several students in the rubble of what was once their dorm rooms, before it continued to the Channing Way and U.S. 45-Bypass area, damaging several businesses and injuring several people.

in western Madison County, in the Huntersville community, two people were killed in their homes, said Madison County Sheriff David Woolfork.

In Hardin County, a tornado killed three people and five people were injured, according to Hardin County EMA director Melvin Martin. Savannah Christian Academy and Sharon Baptist Church were destroyed. Martin said the tornado started about four miles north of Savannah on the Cravens Road area. There could be major damage to 40 or 50 homes, he said.

I have not spoken to anyone this morning, but we know people who live in that area. We know people who attend that church. It’s one of the bigger churches in our area. Please keep them in your prayers!

As best I can tell, the worst we had here at the home place was a few branches on the ground, the biggest can be dragged. We were damn lucky, and I am thanking the good Lord!

Update:  I spoke to someone in the heavily damaged area.  She says it looks like a war zone, and the gawkers are out in full force.  Go home people!  Let them clean up and mourn in peace!  If you aren’t there to help, go the hell home, and be grateful you are safe.  She also shared the bad news one of our own was killed.  The president of Hardin County Republican  Women lost her long time ‘boyfriend’.

I don’t think I’ll be doing a lot of blogging today.  Sorry.  If there is anymore news, I will share it, but right now, I just don’t feel that politicians or any of the other feckless weasels are all that important at the moment.

1. TexasFred. 6 February 2008, 11:02 am

Well, just take care of yourself and be safe, when I saw this story I had to get in touch with you, I was never so glad to get a response from an Ol Broad in my life… :)

2. theotherpeg. 6 February 2008, 11:57 am

Take care Kate! We’ll keep you in our prayers!

3. silent E speaks - Conservatively Speaking from Western Waukesha County » Prayers Needed In Tennessee. 6 February 2008, 12:34 pm

[...] Needed In Tennessee By silent e The area where Ol’ Broad lives got pounded by tornadoes ……. Tornadoes hit in Madison County and Hardin County [...]

4. rosettaresearch. 6 February 2008, 12:36 pm

Glad ya’all are safe. I was a tad worried about you last night. Prayers with everyone affected.

5. silent E. 6 February 2008, 12:58 pm

I’ve stopped bitchin about the snow…… Call if there’s anything at all that we can do…..

6. K. Carpenter. 6 February 2008, 6:04 pm

Sending a prayer your way, Kate. Glad to hear that all in your household are doing well.

I will pray for all those families that are mourning the loss of a loved one today.

Kathy

7. olbroad. 6 February 2008, 9:46 pm

I really appreciate the concern. The community is looking at a long road to recovery, but it will be accomplished. :)

8. Robert. 6 February 2008, 9:57 pm

Take care of yourself Kate, I saw this on the news today at work.. thought about ya’ll.. glad you made it through.

9. Sancho. 7 February 2008, 6:23 am

Good to hear your okay Kate…