Pfft!

29 April 2008, 5:58 pm. 10 Comments. Filed under 2008, Feckless Weasels.

Obama denounces former pastor

Barack Obama said Tuesday he was outraged by the latest assertion by his former pastor that criticism of his fiery sermons is an attack on the black church.

The Democratic presidential candidate is seeking to tamp down the growing fury over Rev. Jeremiah Wright and his incendiary remarks that threaten to undermine his campaign. “I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday,” Senator Obama (D-Illinois) told reporters at a news conference.

Where’s he been for the last 20 years? Why wasn’t he outraged before now?  Why is only NOW getting outraged, when it’s hurting him politically?

After weeks of staying out of the public eye while critics lambasted his sermons, Wright made three public appearances in four days to defend himself. The former pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago has been combative, providing colorful commentary and feeding the story Obama had hoped was dying down. “This is not an attack on Jeremiah Wright,” Wright told the Washington media Monday. “It has nothing to do with Senator Obama. It is an attack on the black church launched by people who know nothing about the African-American religious tradition.”

First off, if he’s from Africa, then so is my granddaughter. Second, do black Americans use a different Bible than white Americans? Or brown Americans? If they do, then it’s not surprising there have been reverses in progress between races.

“I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my speech in Philadelphia explaining that he’s done enormous good …. But when he states and then amplifies such ridiculous propositions as the U.S. government somehow being involved in AIDS …. There are no excuses. They offended me. They rightly offend all Americans and they should be denounced.”

LARGE piles of male bovine manure!

Why do I get the feeling that B. had a consultation with Wright, informing him that he was going to “denounce” his words? Sorry, if he was going to denounce them, then he should have gotten up and walked out of that church 20 years ago!

Ain’t buyin’ it!

1. djheru. 29 April 2008, 6:53 pm

Where is the outrage at Hagee?

2. TexasFred. 29 April 2008, 7:07 pm

Nothing more than political C.Y.A. Obama is still a shithead racist son of a bitch, but other than that… ;)

3. olbroad. 29 April 2008, 8:40 pm

Heh.

You know his kool aid drinkers will say folks like you and I are just trying to make him look bad. Boo freakin’ hoo! He’s done a good enough job all on his own.

4. olbroad. 29 April 2008, 9:06 pm

Uh…dj, I wasn’t aware that Hagee was shooting off his mouth, making divisive comments, damning America, on a daily basis on the idjit box. NOR has Hagee been John McFeingold’s pastor for the last 20 years. Ya really need to pay attention.

5. djheru. 30 April 2008, 11:38 am

Oh, I see!

So Obama used to associate with a hate-filled theologian, but then renounces his association with him in the strongest terms and he is a bad guy.

McCain, on the other hand, used to condemn hate filled theologians, calling them “agents of intolerance”, but now he chases after them, seeking their approval and REFUSES to condemn them, and he is the paragon of virtue.

I’m just trying to understand the Republican mindset…Thanks for clearing up the meaning of your version of “character” and “judgement”.

6. olbroad. 30 April 2008, 11:54 am

Well, first off genius, I’m a CONSERVATIVE….get it straight.

Second, McFeingold didn’t chase after Hagee’s approval, it was announced by Hagee himself, and not asked for.

Third, have I ever said he was a ‘paragon of virtue’? No….don’t believe I have.

7. djheru. 30 April 2008, 2:58 pm

Well, first off genius, I’m a CONSERVATIVE….get it straight.” If so, why are you supporting a warmongering radical like McCain?

Second, McFeingold didn’t chase after Hagee’s approval” Um, I think your assertion here is incorrect. McCain did most certainly meet with Hagee to seek his support, and later, he said that he was glad to have it.

Third, have I ever said he was a ‘paragon of virtue’? No….don’t believe I have.” Well, since I first happened upon your delightful (no sarcasm intended) blog yesterday, I really don’t know what you’ve said in the past. But based on your strident criticism of the candidate who has clearly renounced the hateful theologian, one could be expected to assume that you would be at least as critical of the candidate who’s said that he is “proud to have” the support of another hateful theologian.

Fourth, my definition of “character” and “judgment” was not pronounced, but since you are blathering, I’ll tell ya…. It comes from a greater BOOK than evidently Sen. B has been exposed to, and you too obviously.” You are quick to judge. I remember what our Lord said about judging…”Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged”

But what do I know about that, right? I’m just a stupid libtard commie America hater…

8. olbroad. 30 April 2008, 3:07 pm

I’m just a stupid libtard commie America hater…

Are you really? That’s quite sad. You have my sympathy, and hopes for a speedy recovery. Should I send flowers?

Yep, don’t come around here much, do ya. Never, have I EVER said I support McCain. Assumptions and all that (of which we BOTH seem to be guilty of?). I will repeat….I am a conservative….McFeingold is not. Will I vote for him? Well, probably, but not because I want to, but because the alternatives are even less appealing, and I have no intention of letting my vote be wasted on wastrels.

Hagee is a big deal is some evangelical circles, although, I know very little about him, other than he’s a strong proponent of Israel, unlike your friend’s pastor. McCain hasn’t attended Hagee’s church for the past 20 years, unlike B. and the wild Rev. Yep, I see a HUGE difference.

Criminy….why do I have to keep repeating myself?

9. djheru. 30 April 2008, 4:18 pm

So you’re really claiming that it’s worse to renounce a hateful theologian that you’ve had a long relationship with than to seek out the support of a hateful theologian in order to appear more acceptable to the people who support and agree with that hateful theologian?

Wow…

Just think about it. Obama harmed his support among some of his key constituents by renouncing Wright so forcefully.

McCain, who used to call people like Hagee “agents of intolerance” and shunned them is now seeking their support and saying that he’s proud to have them in his corner.

“Hagee is a big deal is some evangelical circles, although, I know very little about him” Yes, somehow the “liberal media” has not focused on McCain’s crazy theologian like they have on Obama’s… Weird, huh?

10. olbroad. 30 April 2008, 6:12 pm

See here. Criminy, a little checking is all ya have to do, yet, as always as seems to be on the left, just take the talking heads word for it. Hey, what do I know! I’m a short fat ol’ woman, sitting in her kitchen. When did I become the expert? Sheesh!