An Ol' Broad's Ramblings
Archive for 2 November 2008
Nothing like sitting in vegetable mode, snooping the internet and coming across something like this:
Missy with groom Thomas Moghon, 17, her mother Theresa and father Simon
What Daddy’s little girl wants Daddy’s little girl gets.
So when Missy Quinn insisted on a big white wedding with her boyfriend, her father said Yes. It didn’t matter that she was only 16 and the groom 17.
Daddy also said Yes to a £16,000 wedding dress (which looked suspiciously like a crop top and skirt) and Yes to 150 guests at the reception. Then there were the cars, the hotels, the tiara and the £500 bouquet.
In the end, making Missy’s wedding dreams come true cost her father – who lives in a caravan and surfaces driveways for a living – a whopping £100,000.
But as his princess, who hasn’t been in a classroom since she was nine and wants to be a glamour model, posed for photographs, her father Simon, 35, declared it was worth every penny. ‘I’m very proud of her today,’ he said.
Missy was just happy to be the undisputed centre of attention.
Her dress, studded with Swarovski crystals, and with a 10ft wide train, was so heavy that it took ten guests to help her struggle out of the Rolls-Royce Phantom that brought her to the church.
Now, in my humble opinion, Daddy is a major lunatic. It’s bad enough he’d spend that serious chunk of change on his kid’s wedding, but on a 16 year old? The kid looks trashy enough, but her mom is dressed just as trashy. Ok, so this is a different type of ‘culture’, but there are some things that are just plain wrong!
Interesting story, to say the least.
Obama said that under his proposal to cap greenhouse gases, energy suppliers would get incentives to develop technologies to reduce pollution and to use cleaner sources of power. “So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can,” Obama said. “It’s just that it will bankrupt them because they’re going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted.”
This guy is going to screw over every American, even those who are sniffing up his hind end.
From the brilliant mind of Delta Bravo Sierra.
* Law of Mechanical Repair – After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you’ll have to pee.
* Law of Gravity – Any tool, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.
* Law of Probability – The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.
* Law of Random Numbers – If you dial a wrong number, you never get a busy signal, and someone will always answer.
* Law of the Alibi – If you tell the boss you were late for work because you had a flat tire, the very next morning you will have a flat tire.
* Variation Law – If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now (works every time).
* Law of the Bath – When the body is fully immersed in water, the telephone rings.
* Law of Close Encounters – The probability of meeting someone you know increases dramatically when you are with someone you don’t want to be seen with.
* Law of the Result – When you try to prove to someone that a machine won’t work, it will.
* Law of Biomechanics – The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.
* Law of the Theater – At any event, the people whose seats are furthest from the aisle arrive last.
* The Starbucks Law – As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
* Murphy’s Law of Lockers – If there are only two people in a locker room, they will have adjacent lockers.
* Law of Physical Surfaces – The chances of an open-faced jelly sandwich landing face down on a floor covering are directly correlated to the newness and cost of the carpet/rug.
* Law of Logical Argument – Anything is possible if you don’t know what you are talking about.
* Brown’s Law of Physical Appearance – If the shoe fits, it’s ugly.
* Oliver’s Law of Public Speaking – A closed mouth gathers no feet.
* Wilson’s Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy – As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.
* Doctor’ Law – If you don’t feel well, make an appointment to go to the doctor, by the time you get there you’ll feel better. Don’t make an appointment and you’ll stay sick.
Courtesy of Ken the cop.
On his Web site, Mr. Obama asked supporters last week to take time off of work and school on Election Day to vote and campaign by knocking on doors and making phone calls.
Mr. Obama, a Democrat is trying to tap into a sizable group of citizens who did not exercise their right to vote four years ago. Twenty percent of registered voters in the 2004 election said they did not vote because they were too busy or had conflicting work or school schedules, according to U.S. Census Bureau data.
Although Republican Sen. John McCain’s campaign reprimanded Mr. Obama for asking constituents to place his political interests first, election experts agree that more could be done to increase America’s notoriously low voter turnout.
Were the folks suppose to change something that’s been in effect for more than 100 years, just to placate “THE ONE”? There are a lot of ways to vote without taking the day off, assuming one even works for a living. There is early voting in many states, and I’m fairly sure that having to work is a good reason to cast your vote absentee.
The love of money is the root of all evil, according to the Bible.
But that’s no excuse for believers to be ignorant about their finances, says Dave Ramsey.
“Biblical finance is about sowing and reaping,” Christian financial guru Ramsey said on Thursday, while speaking to a national conference of preachers meeting at Mount Zion Baptist Church in Whites Creek. “You sow stupid and you will reap desperate.”
If you’ve never listened to this guy, he is terrific. Following his ‘steps’ a LOT of people have paid off thousands in debt, from school loans to whole mortgages. Unfortunately, we’ve become an instant, I want it right now country, and that is one of the many reason people are in the flummox they are in now.
On a snowy day two years ago, the school board in Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, gathered to discuss a looming problem: how to plug a gaping hole in the teachers’ retirement plan.
It turned to David Noack, a trusted local investment banker, who proposed that the district borrow from overseas and use the money for a complex investment that offered big profits.
“Every three months you’re going to get a payment,” he promised, according to a tape of the meeting. But would it be risky? “There would need to be 15 Enrons” for the district to lose money, he said.
Well, there ya go! More proof that unions are evil. Seriously, if the teachers union in Wisconsin wasn’t so dead set on bankrupting the state, AND the taxpayers, if they used their over inflated salaries to save for their own retirement, this problem would never have come up.
Rep. Charles Rangel has not hired the forensic accountant he said he needed in order to provide answers regarding his messy tax records, The Post has learned.
Meanwhile, the Harlem Democrat has paid more than $120,000 in campaign money to a law firm to represent him in the scandal.
Rangel, the powerful chairman of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee, paid $121,436 in fees to the Chicago office of Orrick, Herrington and Sutcliffe on Oct. 1. The payment came from his campaign fund, Rangel for Congress.
I didn’t think they could do that….use campaign funds for personal issues. And his lack of paying taxes is a serious personal issue. So, one more politician/Democrat who lies. Big shocker there! /snark
“I’m delighted to support John McCain,” Cheney says. “I’m pleased that he’s chosen a running mate with executive talent, toughness and common sense, our next vice president Sarah Palin.”
An announcer says McCain earned Cheney’s support by voting with the White House 90 percent of the time. “That’s not the change we need,” the announcer says.
The praise from Cheney, who routinely has some of the lowest approval ratings of any national political figure, came as Obama has been arguing that McCain is too closely tied to the policies of the Bush administration.
Would it make more sense for Republican VP to endorse a left wing Dhimmi? Seriously, who did they think he’d endorse? I don’t know what so many people have a problem with Cheney. He’s the type of leader we need…..TOUGH. We’ve had enough with the namby pamby type, thank you very much! Oh, and that “voted with” business? BO voted WITH the president a whole bunch too. It’s a non issue.
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.