An Ol' Broad's Ramblings
Archive for 8 March 2009
I got news today that my very good friend from Waupun, Sue, lost her niece, Jenny, 21, to a drunk driver last night. Words cannot express the pain I feel in my heart for her and the family, nor the anger at the blatant disregard of life.
My prayers are with you, my friend!
Seriously, the article is fascinating, and I will highlight just a few passages here.
Obama displays the following behaviors, which are among the hallmarks of pathological narcissism:
* Subtly misrepresents facts and expediently and opportunistically shifts positions, views, opinions, and “ideals” (e.g., about campaign finance, re-districting). These flip-flops do not cause him overt distress and are ego-syntonic (he feels justified in acting this way). Alternatively, reuses to commit to a standpoint and, in the process, evidences a lack of empathy.
Ignores data that conflict with his fantasy world, or with his inflated and grandiose self-image. This has to do with magical thinking. Obama already sees himself as president because he is firmly convinced that his dreams, thoughts, and wishes affect reality. Additionally, he denies the gap between his fantasies and his modest or limited real-life achievements (for instance, in 12 years of academic career, he hasn’t published a single scholarly paper or book).
- Feels that he is above the law, incl. and especially his own laws.
- Talks about himself in the 3rd person singluar or uses the regal “we” and craves to be the exclsuive center of attention, even adulation
- Have a messianic-cosmic vision of himself and his life and his “mission”.
- Sets ever more complex rules in a convoluted world of grandiose fantasies with its own language (jargon)
- Displays false modesty and unctuous “folksiness” but unable to sustain these behaviors (the persona, or mask) for long. It slips and the true Obama is revealed: haughty, aloof, distant, and disdainful of simple folk and their lives.
Hmmm – sounds about right to me. On body language, the doctor says the following:
Narcissists are polite only in the presence of a potential Supply Source. But they are unable to sustain even perfunctory civility and fast deteriorate to barbs and thinly-veiled hostility, to verbal or other violent displays of abuse, rage attacks, or cold detachment.
I seem to recall Obama getting a bit hostile with the press. Of course, I’m wholly unqualified to make a diagnosis, but if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…just sayin’
When I started reading blogs a few years back, this was one of the first of my daily reads. I loved Kate’s message, and her “unique” way of delivering it. I remember thinking that I would love to meet this lady. Fast forward a couple of years, and I am proud to be able to call her a friend.
When Kate asked me to start posting over here, my first two emotions were shock & awe. Shock that she was stepping back (although she seems to be having a bit of difficulty doing that…heh) and awe that she would ask me to step in. Although some of you may have seen some of my stuff over at Silent E’s place, I’m still pretty new to this.
I want to assure you that I am NOT going to try to take Ol’ Broad’s place – that is something no one can do. That’s not what she wants me to do. What I AM going to do is just be myself and hope that I don’t send this blog into obscurity. As she mentioned, I do have a full time job and a family, so I won’t be posting as much as Kate did. But rest assured, I DO have very strong opinions, and I will not hesitate to voice them.
Thanks Kate for giving me a chance to voice them here!! And ya’ll, please be nice…at least in the beginning!
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;