Earth Shaking

27 February 2010, 1:50 am. 6 Comments. Filed under General News.

It’s nearly two in the morning, and I’m awake. This does not make me happy. When I gave up, and crawled out of bed, I noticed that the moon is really bright! I stumbled into the living room, peaked out the window, and I’ll be darned if the thing isn’t bright enough to make the brown grass look like snow. Thankfully, it’s not….just brown grass, but in my state of semi sleep and not going full time with it, it kind of shook me there for a minute. Or, was that the earthquake?

Massive Magnitude 8.5 Quake Hits Chile

A massive magnitude-8.5 earthquake struck near Concepcion, Chile, early on Saturday, the USGS reported, shaking buildings and causing blackouts in parts of the capital of Santiago.

A Reuters witness reported shaking buildings and loss of electricity in Santiago, which is north of the epicenter.

The earthquake struck 56 miles northeast of Concepcion at a depth of 34 miles at 3:34 a.m./1:34 EST/0643 GMT. The quake was initially reported at a magnitude of 8.3.

The Reuters witness reported a very strong shaking lasted for 10 to 30 seconds.

A tsunami warning was issued early on Saturday for Chile and Peru and a tsunami watch was issued for Ecuador, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center reported.

The center said: “An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicenter within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours.

Naw, probably not. Had an ex that worked out of Concepcion, out on a rig.  He said it was a real interesting place.  I wouldn’t know, because he refused to let me go down there, even when there was an offer from the company to fly me down to visit.  Hmm….  Notice, I said EX.  But that’s neither here, nor there.

This report doesn’t mention any injuries, and I pray it stays that way, but…  Buildings can be rebuilt, electricity can be restored, aid can be rendered, wounds can be healed and broken bones set, but lives cannot be replaced.  Keep the folks down there in your prayers.

1. Tim. 27 February 2010, 1:04 pm

Thanks OlBroad. I am definately praying for Chile, and I myself have always wanted to go. It’s an outdoorsman’s paradise and one of our closest friends in South America.

2. olbroad. 27 February 2010, 1:15 pm

I always wanted to go for the archaeology, but alas….

Unfortunately, my hopes for the safety of the folks down there were premature.

3. Tim. 27 February 2010, 10:52 pm

Which archeology might that be? If you want world famous archeology in South America I think Peru is your best bet. They have Machu Pichu.
    Just keep praying.

4. olbroad. 27 February 2010, 11:29 pm

Wouldn’t mind seeing the Atacama Giant, Easter Island, Huaca de Chena, and the like.  Machu Pichu is a bit higher than I think I wanna climb.  Although, I would mind it, if I had an a couple of oxygen bottles in tow.  LOL

5. Tim. 28 February 2010, 9:46 am

Atacama would be nice. Not sure what Huaca de Chena is, Easter Island is part of Chile but not part of South America, you could say it’s to Chile what Hawaii is to the US.
    Chile is supposed to have very good skiing and white-water rafting.
    Though Chile’s quake was a lot stronger than Haiti’s, they are also a lot richer than Haiti and were thus better prepared, thus the damage was not nearly as serious.

6. olbroad. 28 February 2010, 9:56 am

Perhaps there is less corruption in Chile?  Don’t know.

Don’t do skiing.  Tried it once, a LONG time ago, both water and snow.  Nothing worse than someone in the boat making sure you hear the Jaws theme.  Got carried down the bunny slope in a litter.  NOT gonna do it again!  :)  This ol’ woman will not get on two little sticks strapped on the feet and go fast.  LOL  Now, if it’s calm type white water rafting, I might be inclined.  Heh.  I’m a wuss.

Huaca de Chena just seems interesting.  Luckily, they do have planes now to get to islands.  LOL