An Ol' Broad's Ramblings
Archive for 1 June 2011
Sometimes I wonder if Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., is too nice for his own good.
An evil swine hacks into Weiner’s Twitter account and posts an embarrassing photo of spindly legs topped by a small erect penis draped in dingy gray briefs no male over the age of 11 would wear — and Anthony just wants to forget the whole thing!
Instead of angrily demanding an investigation like anyone else would, Anthony has gone all St. Francis of Assisi on us.
He doesn’t want an investigation! How big-hearted is that? Talk about a forgiving nature! He’s almost too magnanimous. I wish I had that kind of forbearance.
Maybe he’s ready to live and let live, but speaking as one of Anthony’s biggest Twitter followers, I am not. Otherwise, Weiner’s hacker is just going to go out and hack and hack again.
Run, Rick, run
by Ted Nugent
Good friend and Texas Gov. Rick Perry should remember that now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
Now is that time, Rick. Run for president.
Indeed, the other GOP candidates are good men and women. Many thoughtful Americans have confidence that each of them would set a new, critically needed, much improved and responsible direction for America – the opposite of President Obama’s course.
Though it’s still very early in the campaign season, no one in the field of candidates is electrifying GOP voters. There is little buzz or excitement.
Candidate Perry would provide campaign electricity. In the words of the Gipper, it would be morning in America once again with Rick Perry running for president.
Rick is a true conservative, and a powerful and popular one. He has never lost an election and remains the only person to have won the Texas governorship three times in landslide elections.
He is appropriately critical of the federal government’s expanding control and reckless spending and thinks much of the power Washington politicians and power brokers wield should be returned to the states. Rick is a strong supporter of the 10th Amendment. Borrowing again from the Gipper, he inherently knows the federal government is not the solution to our problems; it is the problem.
Read the whole column here.
I like Rick Perry. Can’t deny that! But Uncle Ted is right when he says no one who is in the field right now is all that electrifying. I’m not sure if it’s political burnout, or what, but no one, with the exception of the Paulbots ( ), are really moving towards any particular candidate. We’re not going to find the ‘perfect’ candidate. You know, the one that fits EVERYONE’S criteria. All I know is that this country cannot survive another Obama term in the White House. As I’ve said before, I’ll vote for Sponge Bob, as long as it get Barack Hussein Obama out of power!
While perusing Tea Party Nation, I came across a proposal for a platform. While the Tea Party isn’t actually a political party, there should be some sort of platform that we can all agree on, right? Well, here is what was listed there:
1. Cut spending. An immediate reduction in spending to 2004 levels. Government spending in 2004 was approximately $2.3 trillion. This one action will almost immediately balance the budget.
2. Create a commission for the elimination of wasteful spending. The commission would have six months to go through the federal budget and propose the elimination of spending that is simply wasteful, fraudulent or programs that do not work, have achieved their goals when they were created, or have simply failed. The commission’s proposal would go to Congress for a straight up or down vote and cannot be amended by Congress. It would then go to the President for signature.
3. Close the border with Mexico. Use military forces to completely seal the border to stop the flow of illegal immigrants, illegal narcotics and terrorists from Mexico.
4. Enforce immigration laws currently on the books. Have ICE investigate employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants and prosecute those who do.
5. Cut taxes to stimulate the economy. While our long-term goal needs to be the replacement of the income tax with a consumption based tax, the immediate goal should be to stimulate the economy with tax cuts. Start with an across the board 30% cut in personal income taxes corporate taxes and the elimination of the capital gains tax.
6. Elimination of the Department of Education and Energy, which have failed miserably in their jobs, as well as an immediate freeze in hiring new government employees, except in the area of defense and national security.
7. Create a plan to make American energy self sufficient within four years, by drilling and exploiting the natural resources we have here in America. This would include repealing laws that allow bureaucrats or liberal activist groups to file lawsuits that stop drilling or the construction of new refineries. Create rewards for those who can create marketable energy alternatives.
8. Repeal NAFTA, CAFTA and all the other free trade agreements. For America to remain a viable economic superpower, the country must have a manufacturing base. Not only do we need a manufacturing base to employ Americans, we also have crucial infrastructure components, such as power generators that are no longer made in America. If these components were destroyed in a terrorist attack, America could be crippled until we could get replacements, assuming that we could.
9. Either win Afghanistan or get out. The purpose of the military is not nation building. It is to destroy the enemy. Either we take the gloves off and let the military win in Afghanistan or we pull out.
10. Put together a commission to provide a plan to reform Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Social Security and Medicaid are rapidly heading towards insolvency. We need a plan to reform these programs.
Personal opinion….I think this is a good start. Since the Tea Party started because of the fiscal irresponsibility of the federal government, these points cover a lot of territory. Folks a lot smarter than me will come up with a few more than could be added. Any suggestions?
I’d add getting rid of public sector unions, plus that Labor Board bunch as well. Plus, retraining the American mind that people are NOT entitled to a life time of taxpayer money. No one OWES anyone anything! Time to ween folks off the public teat!
There are some social issues I’d include, but that’s just me.
The Debt Is Not a Game, Mr. President
Well, President Obama asked for it. And last night he got it in grand fashion—a “clean vote” on raising the nation’s debt limit, free of any of the desperately needed spending cuts that Americans are demanding, conservatives support, but liberals abhor. And by a 318–97 margin, the House of Representatives shot down the President’s effort to authorize $2.4 trillion in additional borrowing by the federal government without condition.
The vote was introduced by the House Republican majority to send a message to the President in advance of their meeting today at the White House: There cannot be more borrowing and spending without significant spending cuts and reforms. But when asked yesterday about the vote, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney merely said, “It’s fine. It’s fine,” and assured reporters that President Obama will “definitely” win the debt limit fight. Meanwhile, Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD) decried the vote, calling it a “political charade” and a “30-second ad attack.” Rep. Hoyer and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) then joined Republicans and voted against President Obama’s wishes.
Once in a while, it would be nice if the print media would tell the WHOLE story, instead of gushing about how wonderful the federal government is, and how life will be all unicorns and rainbows. Reality just isn’t like that. Now, if the story was about a group that was against such intrusion, you can bet there would be a contradicting viewpoint.
At least one journalist did his job. He investigated, and wrote the story. Now, he’s dead. Is this why U.S. ‘journalist’ never seem to do the leg work anymore? Or are they just too freakin’ lazy to dig for the truth. Some will risk their lives. Ours? Won’t risk a broken nail.
The clueless POTUS is trying to push his anti-Israeli wishes on a sovereign country. It’s nice to know there are at least a few leaders with the cajones to stand up to this spoiled man/child. It is so obvious that reality is so much different than the little pictures he carries in his head. Jerusalem must never, EVER, be divided again! Perhaps Obama needs to read more of history, and less of Alinsky.
WHAT??? You don’t talk “peace” with rabid animals! You SHOOT them!
I wonder just how qualified you have to be to put a noose around a murderer’s neck? I wouldn’t think it would be that difficult, but then, what do I know.
I wonder if this judge is aware that his ruling is unconstitutional? Probably not, since most people in a position of power are fairly ignorant when it comes to the Constitution, and the intent of the Founders. They’ve pretty much destroyed any semblance of a country founded on liberty. Yet, we keep letting them get away with it because WE are also quite ignorant of the facts. Perhaps if our schools actually TAUGHT about our founding, instead of using the education system as agenda indoctrination centers, we would have never sunk this low. I would suggest that it’s past time for people to educate themselves and put a stop to this erosion of liberties.
I’m all for kids eating healthier. I’m also very much in favor of the federal government butting out of our business. If they want to raise our kids, then they should foot the bills….personally! I wonder how they’d react if a bunch of people took their kids to the Capital and dropped them off? I mean, after all, if they want the power to dictate, then they should also have the responsibility to feed, clothe and house them as well. It also might be a good idea if the nannies stopped worry about little jr getting a boo boo when out playing, and let the kids be kids….again! Kids started getting fatter when the nannies stepped in!
The man has said repeatedly….HE’S NOT RUNNING! Pay attention people! There are a couple of good (not great) candidates y’all should be putting your efforts, and money, towards.
There’s no doubt about it. The lawmakers of California have no idea how to balance a checkbook. They also seem quite happy to continue paying convicted non-elected officials their ridiculously fat pensions. Is it any wonder why the rest of the country thinks Californians are just plain nuts?
You mean to tell me that people just stood around and watched a man drown because of a POLICY???? WTF?????????????? How about some common human decency? Is THAT against the law??? What were the bystanders doing? Scratching their asses waiting for the ‘big show’? What the HELL is wrong with people????????????