The Good Ol’ Days

12 January 2012, 7:45 pm. 7 Comments. Filed under History, Just Cuz.

These days, we order online, or actually walk into a store, and can usually find anything we need. Way back when, there were areas where the stores were few, and far between, so, what did folks do? Why, they ordered from great big catalogs! :D I don’t think Montgomery Ward even exists anymore, does it? I remember working at one of their stores a LONG time ago for the Christmas season. Hmmm… Well, at any rate, check out these prices!

1934 Montgomery Ward Christmas Catalog

Some things, I am extremely grateful we do NOT have to deal with anymore! :P

Live chickens? Seriously? And I don’t even wanna know how you iron with gas. :?

In case there is something you just can’t live without….here’s the order form for ya! :D
Shared by Jerry.

1. Gary K.. 13 January 2012, 8:48 am

Back on the farm, a looooong time ago, those catalogs had an honored place in the outhouses/privies. :)

Womenfolk always ripped out the pictures of ladies in their undies. Guess they did  not want the boys to get nasty ideas. :(

2. janlyn. 13 January 2012, 8:50 am

I love these ads! I can imagine my grandmother perusing this catalog when she was in her thirties, with her 8 year old daughter at her side, begging for the shorts. I’m sure my grandmother pursed her lips with a scowl and said that shorts were not proper attire for young ladies. lol

3. olbroad. 13 January 2012, 9:54 am

Gary, I vaguely remember my dad talk about that…  Heh.  I have to thank whoever invented toilet paper!  LOL

janlyn, I remember it being a big deal when those catalogs came in the mail.  Of course, this was MUCH later than 1934.  :D  We’d all sit around going through it…and naturally, got a NO, you can NOT have that, a lot.  sigh…

4. Gary K.. 13 January 2012, 11:33 am

Toilet paper was around; but, waste not-want not, was the rule and toilet paper was only used in the house.

Paper from those catalogs lit coal fires, insulated walls, and when rolled up tight made a torch.

5. Mr. Olbroad. 13 January 2012, 1:35 pm

It worked better before they went to glossy paper.

6. Mark Smith. 13 January 2012, 4:54 pm

It( the shiny pages) did not work better if they were in the toilet.

7. olbroad. 13 January 2012, 7:43 pm