An Ol' Broad's Ramblings
Archive for 13 March 2012
Rick Santorum scored a big pair of victories Tuesday night, winning the Mississippi and Alabama Republican primaries as he builds the case that he is the “conservative” alternative to Mitt Romney over Newt Gingrich.
“We did it again,” Santorum told a cheering crowd in Louisiana Tuesday night.
The former Pennsylvania senator won in two deep red states that are among the most conservative in the nation. In his victory speech, Santorum suggested the GOP contest remains far more competitive than Romney’s supporters make it out to be.
It’s quite obvious the South isn’t falling into line as the GOP elites expected. They really might want to listen to the voters once in a while, cuz we really don’t want another “moderate” McCain. You’d think they would have learned that lesson last time around. *shakes head*
Well, today was another long day. Brat and I thought it would be a good idea to pick up what we needed from Wally World over in Liberty, since I seriously detest that other one, better known as Wal-Mart from hell, before picking up Jr, Michael, and Spud from the hospital. Pfft! Of course, there were a couple of things they were out of, like little boy bath towel thingys. *shakes head* Seriously, at this age, he doesn’t really care if his towel is pink or blue or polka dot, but you know us female types are….had to be blue!
We leave Liberty, heading towards Cleveland, and naturally, there was a wreck or something, and the whole flippin’ road was closed. We never did figure out why, since we never saw an actual wreck, just the ambulance, several cops cars, a rescue truck, and one cop on the top of the bridge blocking traffic from both directions. We did manage to find our way around on a road that must be for buggies, cuz there was barely enough room for one vehicle, much less two.
For anyone who still thinks ObamaCare is such a great idea….
- It increases taxes on families earning over $250,000. In 2013, the employee portion of the Medicare payroll tax will increase from 1.45 percent to 2.35 percent for families earning $250,000 or more and individuals earning $200,000 or more. The income threshold is not indexed for inflation, so more and more middle-income families will be hit by the tax hike as time goes on.
- It adds a new tax to investment income. The increased payroll tax rate is also applied to high-earners’ investment income for the first time beginning in 2013. It will hit capital gains, dividends, rents, and royalties, discouraging investment and harming economic growth.
- It puts new limitations on those with HSAs and FSAs. Starting in 2012, Obamacare restricts the products that consumers may purchase with a Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA)—such as over-the-counter medications—and increases the penalty for such non-qualified uses of HSAs. It also limits the amount taxpayers may deposit into an FSA to $2,500 a year in 2013.
- It adds a new tax on those who purchase medical devices. In 2013, a 2.3 percent excise tax will be applied to medical devices, causing a $28.5 billion tax hike on medical device manufacturers. The industry will pay for this tax by reducing jobs and passing additional costs on to consumers.
- It penalizes marriage. Obamacare creates new taxpayer-funded subsidies for the low and middle classes to purchase health coverage, but the structure of the subsidies allows two individuals to claim more in subsidies alone than if married. This discriminates against married couples and discourages marriage at almost all age and income levels.
- It violates religious liberty. The Department of Health and Human Services included the full range of contraceptives, including abortion-inducing drugs, among the women-specific preventive services that Obamacare requires insurers to include with no cost-sharing. This mandate violates Americans’ conscience rights and religious liberty. Its narrow exemption for religious employers will force many who find these products morally objectionable—including religious charities, hospitals, and schools—to pay for them.
- It puts Medicare decisions in the hands of an unelected board. The Independent Payment Advisory Board, a board of 15 unelected officials, will have the power to cut Medicare spending without congressional approval. These unaccountable government appointees will be able to restrict seniors’ access to providers, treatments, and services.
- It puts a premium tax on health insurers. Obamacare adds a premium tax on health insurers that offer full coverage beginning in 2014. On average, the tax is expected to increase premiums by 1.9 percent to 2.3 percent in 2014 and between 2.8 percent and 3.7 percent by 2023. Combined with the other provisions in Obamacare, this tax will have a huge impact on the cost of premiums.
- It creates a new unsustainable entitlement program. On top of Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, Obamacare created a new long-term care entitlement called the CLASS program. It is actuarially unsound, unworkable, and unsustainable. As a result, the Administration has already put its implementation “on hold.”
- It puts over half of all Americans on a government program. Because of Obamacare’s huge expansion of Medicaid and creation of taxpayer-funded subsidies to purchase health coverage, more than half of all Americans will be dependent on a government health care program (Medicare, Medicaid, or the government exchanges) by the end of this decade.
….please remove your head from Obama’s hind end! NOTHING is free!
U.S. Officials expected outrage after the alleged massacre of 16 civilians by an American soldier, and now they’re starting to see it.
Dozens of people in southern province of Kandahar held a religious service Tuesday in memory of the shooting victims, and around a thousand students in eastern Afghanistan gathered to voice their anger over the killings.
Burning and chanting “death to America,” the protesters in Jalalabad demanded that the U.S. soldier accused of killing the civilians – including nine children – face a public trial, in Afghanistan.
The protesters also called for American troops to leave Afghanistan now, describing them as tyrants and crusaders.
The Taliban, meanwhile, issued another threat to the U.S. forces in Afghanistan on Tuesday.
In a statement the insurgent group warned they would, “kill and behead your sadistic and murderous soldiers,” in revenge for the Kandahar shootings.
This is the Taliban, right? Calling our soldiers ‘sadistic and murderous’? Y’know…if it were so serious, it would be down right funny coming from the most SADISTIC and MURDEROUS animals on the face of the planet! Yeah…a guy went a bit nuts over there. I’m surprised more don’t go off the deep end after they hands tied by our own government, and seeing body parts of children on a regular basis.
If the Obama administration hands this, or any other American, over to these pigs, then they are no better than the filth they are ‘negotiating’ with, and should be tried for any number of crimes….the list is long of the crimes they have committed against the American people.
They want our troops out? Fine…I say lets bring ‘em home….NOW! Let them all kill each other, cuz honestly, I don’t give a happy crap. That whole country is nothing more than a criminal enterprise based on a fake god and his child raping ‘prophet’! They don’t deserve all we have done to aid them, and should be sent to the hell they belong! I’d be more than happy to push that button, to send them along to the fate they have waiting for them in the afterlife….a fiery pit!
Obama’s New Regulations Cost Billions
If you fly across the country, it’s easy to see signs of America’s ingenuity and productivity — skyscrapers in New York City, steel mills in Pennsylvania, factories in Chicago, farmland in the Great Plains, and the glittering technology of Silicon Valley. But what you can’t see, though it’s very real, is the invisible web of red tape crawling forth from Washington, crisscrossing the landscape, strangling job creators, tying down entrepreneurs, and tangling America’s engine of innovation in a mess of regulations. Under the Obama Administration, those endless miles of government-imposed directives has kept getting longer, as The Heritage Foundation reveals in a new study released today.
In our “Red Tape Rising: Obama-Era Regulation at the Three Year Mark” report, James Gattuso and Diane Katz detail how the Obama Administration has imposed new regulations costing $46 billion annually, with nearly $11 billion more in one-time implementation costs. That is about five times the cost of regulations imposed during all eight years of President George W. Bush’s administration, but the burden is even higher. The red tape of the past three years helps explain why the economic recovery has been so slow and job creation so anemic.