An Ol' Broad's Ramblings
Taliban-led insurgents opened a spring offensive Sunday with a wave of coordinated suicide missions, firing at embassies and government offices from seized buildings in Kabul and attacking U.S. bases and police stations in three eastern provinces.
The strikes, which seemed to catch U.S.-led forces and Afghan authorities by surprise, sparked fierce firefights in Kabul and two other cities that underscored the insurgency’s lethality as U.S. combat troops gird for the second phase of a withdrawal due to end in 2014.
“This is the start of the spring operations,” Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, declared in a cellphone interview with McClatchy. “This is just the beginning.”
Caught them by surprise? Seriously? It’s spring, right? And isn’t spring when the crazy people come out? And if there is anyone more crazy than the Taliban muzzies, I’m can’t think of ‘em right now. (It is fairly early, and I’m still working on my first cup of coffee.) I would expect the morons in the Obama administration to be surprised, but not the troops that are on the ground in that God forsaken future field of glass! I would think from experience, they would know that attacks were coming and be prepared, no matter what those fools in Washington say.
Perhaps if our troops had been allowed to do their job, wipe the sons of beaches out, like most logical people would do with an enemy that wants to destroy you, we wouldn’t be spending billions of dollars and the greatest of treasure in that hell hole, propping up a corrupt government, feeding the demon.
The violence, which lasted past nightfall in Kabul and Puli Alam, the capital of neighboring Logar province, claimed the lives of at least 26 insurgents and four civilians, Afghan and NATO officials said. At least 36 others, mostly civilians, were wounded. All of the casualties were Afghans. Some of the attackers were captured.
The attacks, Mujahid said, were “a message” in response to recent assertions by U.S. officials and NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen “that there would be no spring offensive because we are not able to fight.”
The U.S.-led International Security Assistance Force, or ISAF, issued a statement calling the strikes “largely ineffective.”
“Largely ineffective”? Honestly, I’m flabbergasted. I bet ya dollars to donuts, the families of those civilians who were murdered think the scum were pretty effective. I’d think the wounded would feel the same way, as well. And this is the bunch that that fool who claims to be the ‘CiC’ wants to negotiate with? We could have ended this whole damn thing a long time ago if the politicians had let our military do its job! Screw that ‘winning hearts and minds’ butt explosion! You fight a war to win! Not make friends! You demand fear and respect from your enemy, not give them money. You completely and utterly destroy them! And yes, I blame Bush and his bunch just as much as I blame that jackass who currently resides in the White House, with all his pussy radical leftards! This ‘nation building’ crap has got to stop! Think Japan, 1945! Get rid of Karzai, all of his cronies, put in a provisional U.S. Military government, wipe out the bad guys, and see if those left would prefer to live in peace. If not, then send them to Allah, too! Once they’re all gone, there will be a whole lot of empty land. Give it to the highest bidder! Better yet, send over the cowards in the administration and their supporters. Let them create their socialist ‘paradise’, as far away from liberty loving people as possible!